Maha Shivaratri is a Hindu festival celebrated every year in reverence of the God Shiva. It is the day Shiva married to the Goddess Parvati. This day marks the convergence of Shiva and Shakti. It is celebrated by offering of Bael leaves and milk to Shiva and all day fasting.
Since most of the people have fast Savegenie has brought some nice fasting receipes which can be enjoyed by everyone.
1.Sabudana Vada : Vada’s will make a perfect dish for family
- 1 ½ cups of Sago (sabudana)
- 3 medium Potatoes boiled and mashed
- 1 cup roasted peanuts coarsely ground
- 3 green chillies finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves chopped
- 1 tpsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Oil to deep fry
- Soak the sabudana for minimum two hours with adequate water to cover it. Drain off excess water. Mix together sabudana, potatoes, peanuts, green chillies, coriander leaves, lemon juice and salt.
- Mix thoroughly. Divide into sixteen lemon sized balls, flatten between palms of your hands. Heat sufficient oil in a kadai and deep fry vadas in hot oil till golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper. Serve hot with chutney of your choice.
2.Faraali Pahadi Tikka : This paneer tikka – all time favourite
- ½ cup fresh hung curd
- 1 ½ cups chopped mint leaves
- 1 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped green chillies
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Rock salt to taste
- These ingredients are mixed together in a smooth green paste
- 2 cups paneer cut in 1” cubes
- 1 cup boiled and peeled baby potatoes cut into halves
- 1 cup sweet potato peeled, cut into 1” slices and parboiled
- 1 cup purple yam (kand) peeled, cut into 1” slices and parboiled
- 1 tbsp oil
- Place one piece each of the paneer, purple yam, sweet potato and baby potato halves onto a toothpick. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make more tikkas.
- Apply the green marinade evenly on the paneer and the vegetables and keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and cook the tikkas on a medium flame, using oil, till the paneer and vegetables are light brown in colour from all sides.
- Serve it hot.
3.Coconut ladoos : Ladoos will melt in your mouth
- 5 cups desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 3-4 cardamoms powder
- Mix the sugar with water and keep it on low flame to cook. Continue to cook till you get one thread consistency in the sugar solution.
- Switch off the flame and mix the dessicated coconut and cardamom powder to the solution.
- Quickly stir and make small balls from the mixture. If the mixture becomes cold put it again on flame to warm and then make ladoos.
- Serve the coconut ladoos
4.Virgin Pina Colada: Colada will refresh your mood
- 2 to 2.25 cups chopped pineapples
- 4 to 6 ice cubes
- ¾ cup thick coconut milk – 200 ml
- 2 to 3 tbsp sugar
- few pineapple wedges for garnish
- Take the pineapple wedges, ice cubes and sugar in a blender. Blend to get a smooth puree.
- Add coconut milk and few more ice cubes and blend to make it smooth.
- Pour Pina Colada in glasses and serve with pineapple wedges and mint on top.
5.Sweet Potato Chocolate Cake: Cake everyone will love
- 1+1/2cupsall purpose flour
- 2tbspcorn flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/2tsp baking soda
- 1/2cup cocoa powder
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1/2cup mashedsweet potato
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4cup sugar
- 1/2cup oil
- 1/2cup yogurt
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Grease a round pan and keep it aside.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and keep aside.
- Mix all the wet ingredients together in a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and then add the wet ingredients and mix gently with a spatula.
- Pour this batter to baking trayand bake for 25-30minutes. Allow to cool and cake is ready to serve.